Katy's World: Randomly Life (2004-2007)

A place for family and friends to check up on me--and hopefully a site that glorifies God first and foremost.

Friday, August 12, 2005

I don't want to be just a flame

Hey peoples! Been a few days since I updated, so I decided it was about time. The last several days have been really great! I've had opportunities to spend time with friends, family, and a new friend who just arrived from Malaysia! It's been spiffy. Here are my week's highlights:

Monday--Christina!! I got together with my friend Christina, this majorly awesome girl, for lunch on Monday, and we talked for hours about our summers and what we were looking forward to for this semester. She is such an amazing friend! I'm really excited about where God will be taking our friendship this semester. Our time was totally a blessing to me.

Tuesday--Aunt Kay and I had lunch and talked about my summer and about some changes and plans she and her family are going through. Again, it was a really great time just to talk and be encouraged.

Wednesday--got to go visit Lance in Ft. Worth, and it was good to spend time with him.

Thursday--my new friend from Malaysia arrived late that evening. Her name is Crystal, and she'll be starting at my college this semester. She's only 16, and she's come all the way to the US for college without many friends or family here in Texas! That's courage. She is an absolutely sweet girl, and I'm sure you'll be hearing more about her. :-)

Friday--ooh, that'd be today! Basically Crystal and I spent some time talking and hanging out, and then I drove us to the mall (I was SO proud of myself!) for lunch and some time to window shop. We ate supper with my grandparents...and that's about it!

My granddad is helping Crystal and me move into our dorm rooms on Tuesday, so that will be exciting.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the type of person God would have me to be. As I think I've said, one of my biggest prayers is that God won't let me settle for less than his best for me this semester. As I was driving with my aunt on Tuesday, a song by Ginny Owens was playing in her CD player. The chorus to the lyrics really hit me, and it expressed so much of what was in my heart. I think the song's title is "I Wanna Be Moved," and the chorus goes as follows:

And I don't wanna be a flame
I wanna be a raging fire!
Tired of my will, my way,
Your calling's higher
Oh, I know it's time I stopped running from the Truth
So I'll stand here, still,
Until I'm filled
I wanna be moved
I wanna be moved by You.


I love that first line: I don't wanna be a flame. I've so often heard people say they want to be a flame that burns brightly for Christ...well, there's nothing wrong with that, and I admire people who truly pray that. But I asked myself: why stop there when we can be a raging fire? And then the third and forth lines: how awesome to truly be tired of my will, my way, because God's calling really is so much higher! I think once we really become tired of ourselves and reach for the higher calling of God...well, that's when I think he can start to truly move us. I pray that God would continue to help me reach and live for his highest every day.

I want that kind of life, always reaching beyond myself to God's way, his will, his calling. I want to be moved. And I certainly don't want to be just a flame. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home