Katy's World: Randomly Life (2004-2007)

A place for family and friends to check up on me--and hopefully a site that glorifies God first and foremost.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Lance's Update

Several of you probably got the more detailed e-mail I sent out just a few minutes earlier, but I wanted to update here as well. I didn't hear from Lance Sunday morning, so I assumed the surgery wasn't going to work out. When I called late that afternoon, I learned there had been a delay, and they were still waiting for news. I was able to go to Ft. Worth early evening to be with Lance and his family, and I hadn't been there an hour when Lance got a call from the hospital saying the kidney was a match and that he'd be having a transplant around 3 AM.

Lance, his mom, and I got to the hospital around 8:45 PM and began waiting. Lance did a lot of the registration and pre-op things, and as time went along, all three of his sisters showed up, as well as his dad and one of his brothers-in-law. By 2:30 AM, we had 8 people crammed into Lance's hospital room, all trying to sleep; Lance's dad had even taken a pillow to sleep in the bathtub of the connecting bathroom. His surgery had been moved to 5 AM, so they took him down to the OR around then. The rest of us went to the surgery waiting room and hadn't been there an hour when one of his surgeons came out and said Lance was going to pass on this kidney. The other surgeon who was supposed to perform the surgery was out of town, and because of Lance's complications, it was important that he be there since he was the urologist. The other doctor didn't feel comfortable attempting it alone. So Lance would not be getting a transplant that evening.

Though disappointed, we all dealt with it well; Lance probably dealt with it the best of us all. He is now at the top of the list for a kidney, and once the his surgeon gets back on Sunday, he could be called in any day. He'll probably have his transplant in the next couple of weeks, possibly during my first week of school, so please be praying for him. I will update as I get news.

As for me, I will be heading to move into my dorm shortly. My mom and I drive down tomorrow, and I can move in on Thursday. My school starts on Monday, and I am actually looking forward to it. I can't wait to see friends and be back in the campus life! I will also really enjoy having my own dorm room, so that will be great. I will update this once I get settled in my dorm and let you know how things go. Thanks for keeping up with me and for all your prayers. Much love to each of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home