Katy's World: Randomly Life (2004-2007)

A place for family and friends to check up on me--and hopefully a site that glorifies God first and foremost.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Past, Present, Future

In Speech, we're learning about the model of Man as a Semantic Reactor, meaning that our past, present, and future all interact and can affect the others. I thought of those interactions as a friend from last year came back to visit this weekend before going to study abroad in a few weeks. It was interesting to find out all that had happened since I had last seen her, and to learn all that would be happening in her life. I thought of this today as I talked to an old friend who is celebrating his 21st birthday today; and I remember how I met him when I was 10 and he was 11. I haven't seen him in three years, but somehow we talked as though we'd seen each other yesterday. Just funny things like that keep popping up...wondering how what happened yesterday will change today and how today will change the future...and how even the future can change the present.

My weekend was a very good time, altho I'm pretty worn out now after this whole week. Thursday night, I went with a friend to Ft. Worth where my granddad picked me up to take me back to Dallas. Friday morning, he brought me back to Ft. Worth for a doctor's appointment, and we had lunch with a friend who's known and worked with my grandparents for years. I spent the afternoon visiting my aunt and cousins (speaking of past/present/future, etc, how did they get to be 11, 8, and 7? Or is it 9 and 8? I can't even remember!), and my girl cousin spent the night with me. We watched a movie about a boy who had a brain tumor--it brought back memories of when I was 11 and 13 and spent weeks in the hospital just like he did, even though with something not nearly so life threatening. Saturday, my granddad drove me back to my dorm (altho he let me drive half-way!), and I had a babysitting job that night before spending time with Christina, Kirsten, and Nick (Kirsten's boyfriend). Sunday I got to play guitar for Sunday school again, which I have come to realize is a big passion for me; I love worship, I love singing, and I love playing guitar. I first wanted to learn guitar when I was seven, but I didn't learn until last year. Some desires never change, I suppose. I spent most of the rest of Sunday with friends; I was very tired and dealt with some depression that evening, but the Lord sent the right people to encourage me when I needed it. That was when I got to talk with my friend from last year who won't be on campus this year; she's now dating a guy who she was "just friends" with last year. It's neat to see how life moves along.

And today I called an old friend, Reed, who, as I've said, I met when I was ten. Altho I didn't remember it, today was his birthday; he's now 21. (Where have all these years gone?!) We had a good talk, catching up. There's always a neat bond you have with someone who's grown up overseas, especially between MKs; the whole TCK (Third Culture Kid) element really creates a common understanding about certain things. So it was good to talk with him, and we're hoping to see each other in person sometime this semester. I'm hoping to get him to come to college here, too, once he's done with jr. college this year. :-) Speaking of small worlds (which I guess I wasn't, but...), his mom actually went to university with my speech teacher, and they're good friends. Yes, the same Speech teacher who taught us about the Man as a Semantic Reactor model, about past, present, and future interacting all together. Funny how it all comes full circle eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home